Permaculture is a set of design strategies to think about the whole system mostly related to growing food. You try to design a garden, farm, or food forest to be regenerative, organic, and a circular system. The concept also relates in general to building a system in balance with nature, using natural systems, and sustaining a community.
Common ideas in permaculture:
- Compost food scraps and animal manure to use as fertilizer.
- Catch rainwater and hold in a pond or holding tanks.
- Use cover crops to return nutrients to the soil.
- Plant different types of plants that use and provide different elements from the soil that then benefit all the plants together.
- Plant different species of plants with different heights so they can be grown together in smaller space.
- Develop a food forest. Plant and grow food-providing plants in our cities and gardens.